Family Strengthening Center
The Family Strengthening Center at Family Programs Hawaii, in affiliation with the Hawaii School of Professional Psychology at Chaminade University, is a non-profit Community Mental Health Center that provides services to culturally, socially, and economically diverse children and their families. The mission of the Center is to promote healthy development of children by strengthening their families through a multidisciplinary approach.
Dr. Steven J. Choy
Total Number of Children and Adults Served Annually
Number of Psychological Evaluations Completed Annually
Number of Group Therapy Sessions with Children at our Shelter Annually
Innovative Ways to Serve the Community
Pay for Your Visit
Use the orange button below or scan the QR code with your mobile phone to pay for your visit. Mahalo!
- Comprehensive Clinical Psychological Evaluations (Infant, Child, Adolescent, and Adult)
- Psychological Family Risk Evaluations
- Developmental Psychological Evaluations
- Family Systems Psychological Evaluations
- Child Parent Relationship Assessments
- Psychoeducational Evaluations
- Developmental Disabilities Evaluation
- Forensic Psychological Evaluations
- Placement Psychological Evaluations
- Trauma Informed Care Treatment Services
- Individual, Couples, Family and Group Services
- Infant, Child, Adolescent and Adult Psychotherapy
- Child Parent Psychotherapy (CPP)
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT)
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Practicum, Internship and Post Doctoral Fellowship in Clinical Psychology Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy
- Health Professional Practicums
- Community Trauma Informed Care Workshops
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Training Center
- Child Maltreatment, Interpersonal Violence & Trauma Informed Care Trainings
- Child Development & Developmental Disabilities Trainings
- Expert Court Testimony & Consultation
- Visitation and Transitional Services
- Mentoring and Support Services Research
Department of Human Services
Children, Youth, Adults, Couples, & Families
Are you interested in training opportunities with Family Programs Hawaii’s Family Strengthening Center? In association with Chaminade University, we are an internship or post-doctoral training program affiliated with the APPIC and our Psychologists are Nationally Credentialed as Health Service Psychologists. Please see our training opportunities listed below.
What is a Health Service Psychologist?
Health Service Psychologists have the education, training, and experience for the independent delivery of healthcare services. Health Service Psychologists are licensed practitioners who provide preventive, consultative, assessment, and treatment services in a broad range of settings, including independent or group practice, multidisciplinary clinics, counseling centers, or hospitals. Health service psychologists differ from health psychologists in that their practice is not confined to the treatment of problems associated with physical health or well-being, and differ from other specialties in that their services are delivered in the context of the doctor/patient relationship, rather than fields such as forensic psychology.
The National Register of Health Service Psychologists identifies psychologists who have met the highest education and training requirements. The HSP credential positions them for success in healthcare delivery systems and independent practice.
Family Programs Hawaii’s Family Strengthening Center is affiliated with the APPIC, meaning that we are an internship or post-doctoral training program that has met all of the relevant APPIC membership criteria and is in good standing. The list of criteria can be found at APPIC.org.