“Building a foundation for life after foster care.”
The eXcel program guides high school seniors and foster youth on Oahu to successfully prepare for and enter post-secondary education or vocational training. Support is provided during the application process through their initial college or vocational experience and through graduation, if needed or requested.
This program targets foster youth and alumni interested in attending college or vocational training. eXcel initially concentrates on career and interest exploration, establishing goals, and learning basic independent skills. Support will be provided in the application process and completing financial aid and scholarship applications. Ongoing support will be provided throughout their college or vocational program.
Foster youth graduated from High School
Foster youth were accepted into secondary education
Completed more than 1 year of secondary education
• Educational and career and interest, exploration, and planning
• Support and guidance in preparation for further academic and vocational training at a post-secondary facility
• Support in choosing, applying, and enrolling in educational or vocational training programs
• Monitor academic performance, educational advising, tutoring, training, and provide regular monthly contacts
Financial aid and budgeting assistance with scholarships, budgets, and college costs.
• Assistance in completing financial aid forms and scholarship applications
Life skills and transition assistance, support through life challenges
• Instruction in personal management and general social skills
• Increase and build upon identified strengths
• Assistance with advocacy for appropriate accommodations and modifications, as needed
• Improve upon basic skills, study habits, and time management
• Applications for medical care, medical health needs, housing
• Resume writing
• Job applications
“eXcel and all the workers along with the interns have been the most helpful support I have received. Family Programs is amazing.”