In-Kind DonationsGifts of Goods or services to children in foster care
“As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.”
Donation Needs for Children in Foster Care in Hawaii
“The best way to predict the future is to create it.”
Ho’omalu o Na Kamali’i is a unique shelter for Hawaii’s children and youth, ages 4-17 years old in foster care that allows sibling groups to stay together when they have been removed from their homes due to alleged abuse or neglect. Siblings are normally taken to different shelters according to their age and gender, which can cause further trauma during this difficult time. The home is staffed 24/7 by a group of individuals dedicated to ensuring their safety and health at all times. Our keiki and youth at Ho’omalu continue their daily routines to avoid further interruption to their lives and attend school, as well as participate in extracurricular activities, such as sports and afterschool programs.
The following is a list of specific items requested by the youth to help make their stays even happier and more stable.
GIFT CARDS of any monetary value for any of the following:
- Activity centers (i.e. Sea Life Park, Zoo)
- Artificial Christmas tree with holiday decorations (lights, ornaments)
- Bicycles (any size)
- Basketball Rim
- E-Z up tent for beach
- Plastic plates, cups, bowls (15)
- Plastic Teacups (25)
- Air Fryer
- Laptops and/or tablets with working cameras to Zoom visitations with family, friends, support, as well as school work
- Holiday decorations (major holidays, i.e. Valentine’s Day décor)
- Bedroom dressers
- Board games (appropriate for ages 4-17)
- Room trash cans
- BBQ grill
- Arts & Crafts supplies (appropriate for ages 4-17)
- Movie projector/ blow-up screen (for movie time outdoors in the gazebo or backyard)
- Speaker box
- Karaoke mic
- Video games for Wii and Xbox 360
- Game consoles (includes additional Wii and Xbox 360)
- Bike Rack (provides a sturdy placement on dirt and gravel, heavier weight, holds 5-7 bicycles)
- Volleyball net
- Water hose/sprinkler
- Swimming pool/slide
- Beach umbrellas
- Beach chairs
- Bicycles (appropriate for ages 4-17)
- Bicycle pumps or mini air compressor
- Outdoor rocking chair (helps calm youth during crisis)
- Twin size sheet sets
- Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap)
Household cleaning items (Clorox wipes, etc.)
Plain t-shirts: Female and Male (sizes for ages 4-17)
Shorts: Female and Male (sizes for ages 4-17)
Slippers (sizes for ages 4-17)
- Large plastic storage containers with lids
Annual Holiday Party for Keiki and Families in Foster Care is our signature annual event, in which we provide one day for our keiki and youth in Hawaii’s foster care system a holiday celebration. For the last 16 years, Family Programs Hawaii has worked with 1,000s of volunteers and staff to help organize a social and familial gathering that reinforce how special our children are, no matter where they may have come from, what they have been through, or their current situations. Each year, throughout the very generous support of the local community, companies and individuals provide the necessary resources so that games and prizes are enjoyed, a meal is provided, and the culmination of the event – every single child and youth receives a gift especially for them. Even in 2020, we were able to pivot the format and created a drive-thru celebration for over 330 families with 600-plus adults and more than 1,200 keiki and youth. Yet, the focus remained the same – for each and every keiki and youth to celebrate their own holiday celebration.
Please help Hawaii’s children in foster care to FLOURISH by donating specific gifts for our Holiday Party attending youth.
- $20 for our teens ages 14-17 years old in foster care at either Target or Walmart (to maintain uniformity and avoid any conflicts with gender, ages, etc.)
- Any amount for Walmart, Target, and other toy stores for gifts appropriate for ages 4-13 years old in foster care
- Age appropriate toys (i.e. stuffed animals, Barbie dolls, games, etc.) valued between $20-$25 for children ages 4-12 years of age
*Note: We ask donors please be mindful of contributing any type of toys inciting violence (i.e. guns, weapons), clothing, and other inappropriate gifts, which will not be included. For specific items, please use the contact form below or call/email Alana Anderson, Director of Development to ask about gifts and/or other ways you can help support the Holiday Party, including volunteering pre-event or post-event, sponsorships, or title sponsor packages.
Do You Have Donation Items?
“Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day.”
Make a Donation that will Change Lives for the Children and Families in Hawaii
Your generous donation will impact the lives of children and families across Hawaii. We strengthen families to stay together and out of foster care. We help children and families involved in foster care by providing support, shelter, and permanency options. We work with youth as they age out of foster care to prepare them for life as young adults.
- For information on other ways to donate, whether you are an individual or business, please contact us
Alana Alissa Yoshiko Anderson
Director of Development
O: (808) 540-2534